Broader Mammal Taxonomy
Broader Mammal Taxonomy
While I am busy coining Sanskerit names for many lineages of mamamals, such as whales, elephants, rodents, etc, I think it is best I also work on the higher order groupings of mammals. These include clades like Theria, Eutheriua, Laurasiatheria, etc.
The basal group of mammals are the Monotremes, known for being the only mammals alive to lay eggs. These groups include the Platypuses and Echnidnas. As such, I will call them "egg nourishers" or अण्डपोषक. Next clade is Theria, which includes marsupials and placentals. While the clade means "beast", I will just call them "good mammals" or सुक्षीरद. Then the Marsupials, noted by their belly pouches, thus उदरस्यूतिन्/ स्यूतोदरिन्. Marsupials and related relatives are a part of a larger clade called Metatheria, which I will call "resembling marsupials" or उदरस्यूतिदृश्. The Marsupialiformes are उदरस्यूत्याकृति. Next we have the clade Eutheria which is also known as Pan-Placenta for females of all members have a placenta. Thus अपरामत् or जरायुमत्. The Placentalia, which include the living Eutherians can be स्वपरामत् or सुजरायुमत्. A poetic name is क्रोशवशाकुलिन्, meaning of the lineage of Krodhavasha, a wife of sage Kashyapa. She gave birth to daughters that gave birth to a wide veriaty of beasts
With in the Placentalia, we have two main magnaorders: Atlantogenata and Boreoeutharia. The Atlantogenata are named because sometime in the Cretaceous, this lineage originated in around the Atlantic Ocean. These include the common ancester of the sloths, armadillos, elephant, manatees, etc. Because of this, a simple name is "lineage containing armadillos and elephants" or सगजकिर्किञ्चुकुलिन्. The Xenartha are mammals uniquely South American, thus "innate to America" or अमेरिकानिज. The Afrotheria are those originating uniquely in Africa, thus कालद्विपनिज.
The next magnorder is Boreoeuthatia, which is named because the lineage originated somewhere in the Northern hemisphere. However, to keep it consistent with the naming scheme of Atlantogenata, I will call it "lineage with human and cow" or सगोनरकुलिन्. With in this group are two main groups, the Euarchontoglires and Laurisiatheria. The Euarchontoglires is the clade that is the common ancestor of glires (rabbits and rodents) and primates. Thus I can call it "lineage with primates and mice" or सकपिमूषकुलिन्. The clade Euarchonta is then "Primate looking" or कपिदृश्. The clade Glires are the rodents and rabbits, noted for their buck teeth and their love to chew. Thus "good upper incisors" or सुराजदन्तक.
The clade known as Laurisiatheria consists of carnivorans, ungulates, and bats. It is named because the lineage originated in Laurisia. Since Laurisia is more or less northen Jambudvipa, I can call them "innate to northern Jambhudvipa" or चम्बुद्वीपोत्तरनिज. With in this there are two main groups, the Eulipotyphla and Scrotifera. The former includes the Insectovora and latter animals like bats, ungulates, and carnivorans. For now, I will name the latter, specifically as "lineage with bats and cows" or सगोजतुकुलिन्.
With in Lurisiatheria, I will name the grandorder Ferungulata, which consist of the ungulates and carnivorans. I will call it "lineage with cow and tiger", or सगोव्याघ्रकुलिन्. Alternatively, I call call it "leange hooved animals and panthers" or सशफिशार्दूलकुलिन्. The clade Eungulata is "having hooves" or शफिन्/शफवत्. The clade Ferae will be श्वापद or "wild beast" (literally "having feet like dogs").
Comments
Post a Comment